Sunday, January 27, 2013

Evolution of the Jellyfish



Occasionally, I try to make plushes that are a little more realistic, and resemble the natural form of the animal they are modeled after.  One of the first I tried to do this with was the jellyfish.  Formed mostly of spirals, long tendrils, and a half-sphere, jellyfish are a great place to start as a beginner. 


As time progressed, I refined the design a little bit, and tried to use better materials.  The proportions are also a little more accurate here.  I'd love to have an ocean-themed relaxation room, and hang a few large jellies from the ceiling. 


With a jellyfish, since there is a lot of variation in shape and color, you can have a bit of fun with the design as well. This one features a multicolor yarn I found and had to buy, which is rare for me.  I normally try to stay away from multicolor yarns, but I think the colors really lent themselves well to the jellyfish.  This variant also has an extra "stem" under the half-circle, and looks even more realistic, aside from the wild colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment